Recently this front page headline from Dawn screamed at me:
Aafia yells at jurors
I already had read on the net that the fact was she had yelled not at jurors but at the prosecutor (Jenna Dabbs) and a witness (US Army Capt Robert Snyder). I quickly grabbed the paper but all I found was this:
NEW YORK: Aafia Siddiqui yelled at jurors during the first day of her trial, saying she had been held in a secret prison. She had to be led out of the courtroom after disrupting the testimony of one of the witnesses. Assistant US Attorney Jenna Dabbs told jurors Ms Siddiqui was taken into custody by Afghan police in July because she was carrying containers of unidentified chemicals and notes referring to mass-casualty attacks and New York landmarks such as the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street and the Brooklyn Bridge.—Reuters
That’s it? No mention of what was said and why? Why would Dawn want to present Dr Aafia in a bad light through such an act of omission and commissioning such a discriminatory headline???
For record, here is what was said and to whom:
- It appears it was during Ms Dabbs arguments that Dr Aafia stated that she was held in a “secret prison… where children were tortured”.
- And it was during Snyder’s testimony that “Afghan police discovered the notes in Siddiqui’s purse mentioning a massive attack and listing landmarks such as the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty and Wall Street.” did Dr Aafia (yell? say loudly?): “You have to give me credit. There was no list of targets against New York. I was never planning to bomb it. You’re lying.’’
Important Side Note: An interesting and so far unknown “black” agreement has been revealed in LHC between U.S. and Pakistan, thanks to the Dr. Aafia case. Let’s see how the court reacts. Earlier, the Government of Pakistan (GoP) had stated that due to “some unavoidable reasons the government could not approach the ICJ in Dr. Aafia case.” (“The law officer was of the view that due to some international treaties the Pakistan government could not move the ICJ without consent of the countries involved in the case, America and Afghanistan.”)
Well, those VERY AVOIDABLE reasons can now be revealed. It has come out that GoP has been kind enough to sign a treaty with US (and Afghanistan?) under which Pakistan could not move the International Court of Justice (ICJ) without prior permission of the US (The treaty document has since been presented in court).
So much for sovereignty….
Jan 22, 2010
- “KARACHI: The trial of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui has taken a bizarre turn when a witness’s testimony came out to be different from the one given by American official Captain Schnieder, reports DawnNews.”
- Furthermore, an FBI agent testified that they did not find Dr. Aafia’s finger-prints on the rifle.
- The Afghan interpreter also told the court that he has been granted a green card and has been settled in America by the officials who brought him to testify in the trial.
[Ah, so Dr. Aafia was right in calling Schnieder a liar. And I guess you can make an Afghan interpreter testify by offering him a Green Card but you cannot make him remember and repeat your lies 😉 ]
Jan 27, 2010